My beloved Gadgets
To promote this blog for my non-German speaking friends (hello zl.!!!! :)), this week's thing is going to be in ENGLISH... (i've been practising now long enough, haven't I?)
I have to admit I am quite disappointed by the English newspapers... I had read in a DAAD (my funding agency) report written by a former student, that he/she was thrilled by the many and cheap newspapers... so I was quite excited, but only to discover that the system is actually quite complicated: There is no such thing as newspaper subscriptions, you HAVE to buy your paper at your local newsagency - some times they would also deliver the paper, but then you would have to pay an extra fee of almost something like 20-40 of the actual prize of the paper. very convenient....
However, it gives me the unique experience of meeting up with my beloved news agent every other days. The name of the store is D'Arcys and the guys are either a long-bearded ealderly muslim wearing one of these long clothes (weekdays), the other one is his younger son/cousin/whatever, who likes to talk in order to get rid of the boredom of this small shop (weekends). "You are from Germany. Ah Hitler, that was a good leader, wasn't he". Hm, need to do some political education here, I guess.
Best are the little gadgets that come with every paper. They range from DVD movies on the weekends (High Hopes, Letter from Breshnev... good old British cinema) to posters (Cheese of the world, Cattle... or - my favourite - THE COMPLETE HERITAGE LINE OF THE BRITISH KINGS AND QUEENS STARTING 800 a.c.), also available were stickers of dinosaurs and animals of the world. As christmas is approaching, the Guardian actually feature one side of rainbow coloured, artist designed paper gift wrap :)
I wonder what it will be next Saturday... :)

1 Comments:
ohhhhh, ich will ein gaaaanz schönes (Geschenkpapier)!!!
besos von einer Müden, die zu lange in Gesellschaft eines Kleinkindes war...
Post a Comment
<< Home